Tuesday, April 13, 2010

So I Lied. . . Science Testing Today.

One of my earlier posts misinformed the public. TODAY was the last day of testing, as the 4th, 8th, and 10th graders took their standardized Science tests. Molly, Rachel, and I spent a few hours in the morning working on lesson plans in the empty science lab as we were not allowed to interfere with testing. The rest of the day went smoothly as we taught for our second day here in Barrow.

After school, us girls stuck around the middle school to chat with our teachers and to utilize the newly discovered weight room. We then browsed the AC, one of the only stores in town, where I decided to buy a package of Chips Ahoy cookies for a measly $6.11. I sincerely hope my dad is not reading this or he may just pass out from sticker shock. Food costs are way higher up here than in Minnesota, like for example, a 12 pack of Mountain Dew was on sale for $9.99 today. Those prices would kick my caffeine addiction really quick.

We came home a little poorer, but were able to enjoy Steak Night at the cafeteria. The remainder of the night was spent writing more lesson plans, working on project proposals, and in my case, chatting with a few of the students here at Ilisagvik. Word on the street is that dividends are coming soon. Native Alaskans/Eskimos/Inupiat people are automatically shareholders in this Arctic oil corporation that pays them dividends a few times throughout the year. In the spring, for example, each person no matter their age, receives anywhere from $1,200 to $1,600 (I keep forgetting the real number, but I've heard a few conflicting figures). For a family of 6, such as mine, that could pay for a pretty nice vacation.

We'll see what happens when the dividends are passed out later this week. We've heard stories that some families travel to Anchorage to allow their children to spend their dividend money as they see fit, while others take trips to Hawaii or buy new snowmachines. My only question, which appears seemingly irrelevant to this situation, is how will this money affect students and schools?

-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment