Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thursday Tunnel Day

Wow! Today was a excellent day. First, Travis, the 4th graders, and I went on a field trip. We took a field trip to the Barrow Utilities & Electric Coop., Inc. While there, we took a main level building tour which consisted of a half a million gallon water tank (smallest on the site), electrical work, and many other important features that are needed to run water throughout the entire community. After the tour of the main building, the class, Travis, and I went below the ground 12 feet to see what the piping was like in the utilidor. A utilidor is an underground corridor used to run the piping. The underground utilidor runs 3 miles in the frozen tundra and supplies water to all of the homes, schools, and local buildings. During the tour Mr. Brower (Tour guide) mentioned that it cost them $1,700 to build every square foot of the utilidor. Multiply that number by the how wide, tall, and long the utilidor is and you can figure out how much it cost to build it. I am too tired to try and figure it out, but if anyone gets an answer please respond back on the blog. The reason that the Barrow community even needs a utilidor to run its pipes is because of the permafrost. Mr. Brower stated that a pipe has never busted in the utilidor and that all of the breaks happen to the pipes that are buried under the ground. Overall, the tunnel tour was a success. Travis and I had a great time exploring the utilidor and observing the kids excitement during the tour.

All in all, I am enjoying my time here in Barrow and I know I will miss it much when I have to leave. I have learned so much about myself while being here. I have had every button pushed, every excuse thrown at me, and have faced many difficult situations. But, none of those things have stopped me from doing what I enjoy doing most, teaching. The kids here have changed my outlook on life and on teaching. I am now beginning to understand what it takes to be a successful role model and teacher. It's a totally different world up here and I am proud to say that I have had this amazing opportunity. Personally, I feel like I have had a more positive impact on these students than I did during my first placement in Minnesota. Some of the kids up here are in dire need of a role model, a friend, or a simple smile and a hug. This experience has been truly blessing and one that I will remember forever.

- Captain Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment